- Environment is derived from the French word “Environer/Environner” meaning “neighborhood”
- Environment is the basic life support system. It provides the air we breath, the water we drink, the food we eat and the land where we live.
- The place, people, things and the nature that surround any living organism is called environment. It is a combination of natural and human made phenomena.
- Components of environment: Natural, Human made and Human.
- Natural environment refers to both biotic and abiotic conditions. Biotic is the world of living organisms whereas abiotic is the world of non-living elements.
- The solid crust or the hard top layer of the earth.
- Made up of rocks and minerals and covered by a thin layer of soil.
- Domain of water.
- Thin layer of air that surrounds the earth.
Ecosystem: it is a system formed by the interaction of all living organisms with each other and with physical and chemical factors of environment in which they live, all linked by transfer of energy and material.
# World Environment day – 5th June.